[unisog] Recent increase in RIAA complaints

David Bradstreet dmbdss at rit.edu
Fri May 2 16:34:15 GMT 2003

	Good luck with that.  Universal, RIAA, MPAA, NetPD have not been
responsive to any requests for greater detail on incidents.  Our ISO
inquired with at least one of these groups as to HOW they were
gathering data- in order to validate their complaints.  He got nothing
in response from them.  Not even 'thanks, but we aren't telling you
anything'.  I have also seen flawed pattern searches *office*.* that
reports violations that are HR_office_Templates...  More and more of my
time is spent doing their work, and they have yet to send me my
per-diem!

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 08:09  AM, Craig Brown wrote:

> We've seen a dramatic increase in legitimately filed complaints this
> semester, almost entirely from Universal Studios.  The vast majority
> of the complaints are against machines in residence halls.
>
> We use an approach where each student uses their campus ID to
> authenticate a connection to the network.  When we receive a
> complaint, we send a 24-hour advance disconnect notice to the student
> and refer them to our Student Judicial Affairs department.  We disable
> their ability to authenticate a resnet connection until they satisfy
> the sanction requirements imposed by Judicial Affairs.  Ususally, the
> student either has to right a paper or create some sort of
> anti-copyright infringement poster.  Sometimes they get some real
> punishment and have to interview me  :-)
>
> We're changing the process a bit.  Most students are getting the
> poster assignment.  Next Fall, they'll be required to do a
> presentation in their residence hall.  We're also going to have a
> fairly short digital copyright workshop a couple of times a month, and
> each student will be required to attend that before a connection is
> restored.
>
> Different Issue
>
> Due to the supernode issue, has anyone been able to get any details on
> how Universal Studios is gathering there data?  Since we're
> authenticating end-user connections, we have a log that shows when
> each IP address was in use and which ID was used to authenticate that
> connection.  We've had two instances where the IP address in the
> complaint was not in use any time within a couple of hours on either
> side of the complaint time stamp.  My guess is they're gathering at
> least some of their data from a supernode.  This makes me question the
> validity of their process.  I'm considering working through our legal
> counsel to come up with a statement telling Universal Studios that
> based upon their questionable ability to properly identify
> infringements, we will ignore their complaints until they can provide
> details to us that illustrate the consistent validity of their data.
>
> Anyone else tried anything like this?
>
> -- Craig

David Bradstreet
Residential Computing Administrator