[unisog] Anti-Spam task force/team

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 8 18:20:03 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 06:47, Christopher A Bongaarts wrote:
> As Ben Curran once put it so eloquently:

> > Filter it and forget it. If I miss one message from my aunt Mary in Ohio, oh well. I'll
> > survive.
>
> OTOH, if you miss one message saying "you forgot to send document XYZ
> with your grant proposal", it might cost you your career...

We are in the "tag it and pass it on" camp and I've been quite surprised
how many legit messages get tagged.  One whole thread on the
securityfocus incidents list got tagged for no apparent reason.

With the current state of technology I'd be very loath to entrust my
mail entirely to automatic filtering. I have my mua store all tagged
mail in a separate folder which I check a every now and again and then
delete at once.

--
Russell Fulton, Network Security Officer, The University of Auckland,
New Zealand.