Restricting software at colleges and universities

Hart, Lee Anne lhart at mc.cc.md.us
Wed May 14 13:31:09 GMT 2003

Is it possible to restrict/prohibit software in higher ed. institution?
We are a two year community college with no residence halls (luckily)
and we are currently in the process of writing up a guideline/practice
against installing and using certain software programs such as
peer-to-peer file sharing.  We have an AUP, but are looking to write up
something more focused on P2P software.  I am interested in hearing how
other higher ed institutions are handling the problems with P2P file
sharing.  Thanks,

Lee Anne Hart
IT Security Analyst
Montgomery College