[unisog] Blocking inbound Internet traffic

Pete Hickey pete at shadows.uottawa.ca
Thu May 8 16:43:51 GMT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:04:29AM -0400, Gary Flynn wrote:

> Would it be safe to assume that the majority of institutions
> on this list do NOT block services in RESNET?

Seems that there are more and more of us that do.

Anybody block outbound services as well?  :-)

Getting a bit more serious, is anyone NATting their entire
residence network onto one (or a few) addresses?

Are there legal implications here?  I'm not talking about logging
and identifying, but in the sense that we frequently claim that we
are an ISP to students in the residences.  We are the carrier, and
the student is responsible for his/her actions.  If we are using NAT
for the residence, we are no longer providing services like any ISP
(to my knowlege), and that we may somehow be more responsible
for a student's actions.

-Pete