[unisog] MS Exchange maintenance time

Darden, Patrick S. darden at armc.org
Wed May 14 19:59:58 GMT 2003

Well, in general you have some maintenance issues I think.  You have to
compress the Exchange server's log about once a week or month (depending on
use level), you have to defrag the file system once a month or so (again
depending on the usage level), and you have to apply all service packs and
security patches on a weekly cycle.  All of these require downtime.  This
translates to more scheduled downtime.  Exchange is expensive as all get
out.  And it takes a pretty hefty server, especially if you have antivirus
software active (which you darn well should).

That said, I think Exchange is feature-rich compared to Sendmail.  The
contacts, task list, and calendar all make this a great group-ware product.

However, I would never put an Exchange server on the internet.  You might
want to put it behind a firewall, and make it available only from an ip
address range or via VPN for those outside your campus....

--Patrick Darden