[unisog] microsoft baseline security analyzer

Allen Chang allen at rescomp.berkeley.edu
Fri May 16 21:56:55 GMT 2003

I believe MBSA is an updated version of Hfnetchk. There is a command line
option and the GUI version allows you to scan entire IP ranges. It also
scans for IIS and SQL configuration vulnerabilities.

"MBSA uses the HFNetChk tool technology to scan for missing security
updates and service packs for Windows, IE, IIS, SQL, Exchange, and Windows
Media Player. MBSA will create and store individual XML security reports
for each computer scanned and will display the reports in the graphical
user interface in HTML."
http://search.microsoft.com/gomsuri.asp?n=1&c=rp_Results&target=http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/Tools/MBSAhome.asp

"Q: Does MBSA V1.1 replace HFNetChk?

A: MBSA V1.1 fully exposes all HFNetChk V3.81 switches through the MBSA
command line interface (mbsacli.exe). Microsoft will be removing HFNetChk
as a standalone offering since MBSA V1.1 can now be used to perform both
MBSA-style scans as well as HFNetChk-style scans. "
http://search.microsoft.com/gomsuri.asp?n=4&c=rp_Results&target=http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/Tools/mbsaqa.asp

Allen Chang
Network Security Coordinator
Residential Computing