[unisog] microsoft baseline security analyzer

Anderson, Kelly kjanders at umich.edu
Fri May 16 22:42:32 GMT 2003

Unfortunately, this is what many think is the case, however, it turns
out to be marketing fluff.  The most current Hfnetchk is version 4.
>From what I hear, Microsoft will not be updating their MBSA Hfnetchk
engine to keep in step with Shavlik's release.  It had something to do
with the fact that MS didn't want to license it from Shavlik or
visa-versa.

And we've found gross discrepancies between what MBSA tells us and what
Hfnetchk v4 tells us.

There have been numerous postings about MBSA/Hfnetchk on both NTBugTraq
and the Windows-hied lists since its release, if anyone is interested.

-Kelly