[unisog] University virus-writing course?

Christopher A Bongaarts cab at tc.umn.edu
Wed May 28 19:25:30 GMT 2003

As Martin Sapsed once put it so eloquently:

> I've just noticed this snippet referring to a longer article in a Sophos
> E-news bulleting. Is this really news and do people here have opinions?
>
> UNIVERSITY VIRUS-WRITING COURSE IS IRRESPONSIBLE, SAYS SOPHOS
> Sophos reacts with surprise and disappointment to the news that
> the University of Calgary in Canada is offering its students a
> course in malicious virus-writing.

They teach police officers how to make crystal meth, so that they can
recognize a lab and deal with it safely.

It seems reasonable that we teach future programmers/sysadmins how
virii are produced, both so that they can reverse-engineer them more
easily and so that, maybe, they can find an application for viral tech
that can be used for good instead of evil.

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  cab at tc.umn.edu       %%
%%  Internet Services         %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%