[unisog] University virus-writing course?

John Stauffacher stauffacher at chapman.edu
Thu May 29 02:20:49 GMT 2003

Its kind of interesting, this whole topic. Lets take it out of the construct
of Virii and Malware -- and put it into some simpler terms. Take your
college chemistry class, or better yet a botany class. Can your students not
create illegal drugs, and or grow contraband? Even your High School wood
shop class allowed you to make weapons that were considered "not allowed" at
school, or the pottery class in which you could make other devices that were
not so legal. The point of the matter here is, Academia would not be
anywhere if people sat around afraid to explore. I agree with SOPHOS this
may not be the best thing in the world to do -- giving enterprising kids the
ability and training on writing malicious code -- maybe not the smartest.
But what if...what if one of those people comes out of that class and writes
the next big virus killer, the next "big thing". Would it not then be worth
it? One individual succeeding in doing something for the greater good of the
whole; juxtapose that with the counterpart. The one individual who comes out
of class and writes the next super-virus; well - now SOPHOS has to actually
do something (besides writing virii themselves to stay in business) and find
a way around it. In the University setting we are always going to come
against this wall of Academic Freedom vs. Individual Rights vs. "The
University". The balance becomes compromise, and responsibility. If you're
going to teach a class such as this, make damn sure that code doesn't leak
out, or is some how safe guarded against misuse. Offer strict penalties to
those who break the rules. Take all the computers used off *ANY* network and
considered them tainted from the moment the student sits down at them. Would
teachers do this? Probably not, so SOPHOS kind of does have a platform to
stand on, to them it looks like an impending danger. Sort of like the old
lady who complains because cars drive too fast down her street, ever since
they raised the speed limit to 45mph -- has anyone been hit? No, but the
possibility exists therefore she is making a stink about it. The minute
somebody does get hit -- she's right there with the "I told you so". If I
were in any administrative role in this whole effort, I would probably start
small and work big. Offer a small class on the subject with more book time
than anything else -- show the AV community that you mean no harm and can
act responsibly. Maybe even invite them in.

Just my $.02

-John Stauffacher

++
John Stauffacher
Network Administrator
Chapman University
stauffacher at chapman.edu
714.628.7249

"If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!"

"it's a lot harder to ask permission than forgiveness."

"Success is something I will dress for when I get there, and not until."