Redhat and Fedora

John Stauffacher stauffacher at chapman.edu
Mon Nov 3 19:49:00 GMT 2003

I'm sure most of you saw the news this morning on /. and of course coming
out of RH. RedHat is officiall stopping support for the whole 7.x branch and
8 by December and 9 by april. They are asking people to upgrade to their
"enterprise" OS. The "base" disto is $300+ per machine (single cpu).  They
also offer their "open source" development OS (fedora) available for free.
I'm wondering what any of you out there with a large RH deployment are going
to do? Migrate to Fedora, migrate to another distro or just come up with the
cache to pay RH. It seems to me the "free" part of RH is what made it the
most economical choice. I've lost count at how many RH servers we have
deployed and the thought of going back through and migrating all of them is
something that I really don't want to think about. I'm interested in hearing
thoughts about what others are doing, or plan on doing.

-John Stauffacher

++

John Stauffacher

Network Administrator

Chapman University

stauffacher at chapman.edu

714.628.7249

"I ran out of sick days, so I called in dead"

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
cannot read them." -Mark Twain  (1835-1910)

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history
is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the
lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny
ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of
energy and daring those ripples build a current which can weep down the
mightiest walls of oppression and injustice." - Robert F Kennedy

Pursuant to 47 USC, unsolicited e-mail sent to any of my addresses is
subject to an archival fee of not less than $500 U.S. per copy. E-mail
received after any receipt of this notice implies acceptance of these terms.
A copy of the specific law regarding this activity may be found at