[unisog] Redhat and Fedora

Bruce A. Locke blocke at newpaltz.edu
Tue Nov 4 07:10:32 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 20:24, Jon Mitchiner wrote:
> My biggest concern at this point is the latest beta of Fedora does not have
> the up2date program.  My impressions so far from Redhat is Fedora may not
> have up2date access.  This means keeping up to date and patch all servers on
> a regular basis.  I hope that Redhat considers continuing to provide up2date
> access for Fedora.

'up2date' is still in.  Red Hat Network support for Fedora (and the
update management features) appear to have been "dropped" from RHN.

'up2date' now understands yum and apt archives.  This can be configured
in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.  The 'yum' utility is also available on
cd #3 as an alternative to up2date and apt-rpm.  I prefer dealing with
yum over up2date as it is much faster.

Basically what has changed is that if people in the community want
Fedora (baseline 'Red Hat Linux') to have longer support cycles then a
community is going to have to pitch in.  Many other less used
distributions were able to develop a sufficient community to do this.

The difference is their communities were started earlier and were
established before many people deployed the distribution while Fedora
Legacy was/will be established after this point.  I'm very optimistic
that Fedora Legacy can adequately extend 'support' for popular releases
for at least a 1.5 to 2 year cycle.

As with any project though I'd be cautious for the first month or two
during the Fedora switch over and do some testing before deploying.  I
figure that should give them some time to shake out any problems in
their social and software infrastructures.

With that said, I have only deployed Red Hat Linux on systems that
wouldn't be a giant pain to upgrade, such as 'simple' servers like proxy
servers, workstations, etc.  Large proprietary software packages (like
Oracle) are already running on RHEL systems anyway due to software
vendor requirements and recommendations.

Of course if none of this interests you there is always SuSE, Debian,
and Mandrake.  Although I would not be surprised if SuSE shortens the
support life on their 'baseline' product also.

Bruce A. Locke
blocke at newpaltz.edu
WSB 18 - (845)257-3775

Computer Science/UNIX Support
Academic Computing - Computer Services
State University of New York at New Paltz