[unisog] Wireless in residence building - Tricky problem

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Nov 5 02:46:58 GMT 2003

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 17:53:49 EST, Marc Jimenez said:

> 	At the time, I casually consulted legal advice about this, and was
> informed that deliberately interfering with use of the unlicensed bands
> was illegal. You can use it all you'd like yourself, but you cannot
> *deliberately* interfere with someone else's use. I would speak to an
> attorney to get the fine points before pursuing this course of action.

Dave Farber had an item saying it's a BIG no-no:

http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200107/msg00223.html

FCC can slam you $11K for it.  And for bonus points, here's some cites:

47 USC 333 talks about intentional interference:

I suspect the real teeth to this is buried somewhere deep in
47 CFR: http://cfr.law.cornell.edu/cfr/cfr.php?title=47&type=chapter&value=1

Ask any ham operator, they *will* know chapter and verse on the regs
for interference.

> 	The fundamental issue involved in student wireless equipment is in
> the legality of airspace/frequency use, which they have just as much right
> to personally as you do as an institution. Moreover, if the AP is in their
> room, most states will not allow you entrance to that room without a
> search warrant, so how do you prove conclusively that they are the
> problem without violating their civil rights?

Two signal strength-and-direction reading 10-15 foot apart in the hallway
and some triangulation would do it.  It's the electromagnetic version
of "which room has the annoyingly loud stereo in it?", which is also
solvable without a search warrant.... :)