[unisog] Wireless in residence building - Tricky problem

Mitch Collinsworth mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu
Wed Nov 5 18:13:30 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Marc Jimenez wrote:

> > Two signal strength-and-direction reading 10-15 foot apart in the hallway
> > and some triangulation would do it.  It's the electromagnetic version
> > of "which room has the annoyingly loud stereo in it?", which is also
> > solvable without a search warrant.... :)
>
> Absolutely true, we can certainly determine to *our* satisfaction that the
> AP is in the room, but incontravertable proof (which is what our school's
> disciplinary board requires) is a bit harder to come by. If you've got a
> more ... reasonable ... set of proof requirements, more power to you. I
> wish I did....

I don't see why triangulation wouldn't be considered incontravertable,
though it's safer to do it with 3 samples, since doing it with 2 only
gets you to one of 2 possible locations.

If you want better than that, cut the power to the room in question and
see if the AP signal goes away.  (Doesn't work if it's on a UPS
obviously.)

-Mitch