[unisog] Wireless in residence building - Tricky problem

Stephen C Woods scw at seas.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 5 18:59:52 GMT 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:13:30PM -0500, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Marc Jimenez wrote:
>
> > > Two signal strength-and-direction reading 10-15 foot apart in the hallway
> > > and some triangulation would do it.  It's the electromagnetic version
> > > of "which room has the annoyingly loud stereo in it?", which is also
> > > solvable without a search warrant.... :)
> >
> > Absolutely true, we can certainly determine to *our* satisfaction that the
> > AP is in the room, but incontravertable proof (which is what our school's
> > disciplinary board requires) is a bit harder to come by. If you've got a
> > more ... reasonable ... set of proof requirements, more power to you. I
> > wish I did....
>
> I don't see why triangulation wouldn't be considered incontravertable,
> though it's safer to do it with 3 samples, since doing it with 2 only
> gets you to one of 2 possible locations.

   Well it you can pick up a 100Mw 2.4GHz signal from the other side of the
earth....

   You don't need incontravertable all you need is enough to convince a
judge to get a warrant.   It's a real strong signal and our
triangaluation indicates it's originating 3 feet from the inside of the
wall of that room.   With a warrant you can get the University Police
to enter the room and see the AP sitting on the table.

--
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASnet; 2567 Boelter hall; LA CA 90095; (310)-825-8614