[unisog] Wireless in residence building - Tricky problem

Marc Jimenez mjimenez at net.tufts.edu
Wed Nov 5 19:48:08 GMT 2003

Hi Folks,
	Your technical arguements here are all rock-solid. I just feel
that the effort and more importantly, the political capital spent in
getting a subpeona against one of your own students over a wireless AP is
a bit much. Turning off the power to a student's room is also a bit much,
I can already hear the parents' screams and the footsteps of angry
Deans...
	There are technical solutions available, forced VPN, 802.1x,
BlueSocket-esque devices. It really comes down to deciding how much time
and energy you want to spend in solving the problem. In my opinion, you'll
eventually reach the point where it's less expensive to simply provide a
secure wireless solution of your own in the dorms. Once you've done that,
the students won't want to do it themselves. The goal I think we're all
aiming for is *fulfilling* customer's demands.
	As a side note, one solution that I've heard has been implemented
at another University (who I won't name without their permission) is
allowing students/faculty to purchase their own wireless APs, and then
mandating that they be registered and put on a separate VLAN protected by
a BlueSocket box. It let's the customer pay for what the organization
can't afford, while fulfilling the customer's demands for service, and the
organization's need for security at the same time.

	Just my $.02,  (adjusted for ego-inflation)
		Marc