[unisog] Wireless in residence building - Tricky problem

Pete Hickey pete at shadows.uottawa.ca
Wed Nov 5 20:27:28 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:42:58PM -0500, Tim O'Connor wrote:

> Lincoln Center, as well as a couple of movie houses -- that planned to
> install local jamming devices to disable audience cell phones during
> performances.
>
> There was a counter-argument offered to the effect of "what about a
> doctor on call who is sitting in the audience and must be reached?" which

Isn't it the responsibility of the person who is "on call" to make
sure they are in a place that is reachable?  I know that my staff
can't go fishing when on-call, because "the lake" has no cell/pager
coverage.

> At work, we have heard from several professors who hold classes in big,
> amphitheater-style lecture halls that are covered by our APs.  The
> professors are extremely concerned about students surfing web sites
> during lectures, and demanded that our dean of academic affairs provide a
> cutoff switch at the lectern so that lecturers can turn off APs remotely
> while they lecture.

It is becoming more and more common.

>   Someone DID propose disabling VPN
> accounts for all students in the class, but that idea was swiftly shot
> down as insanely unmanageable.

Don't even TALK about it!  Someone might start thinking that it is
a good idea and we should just get computers to manage it for us.