[unisog] Wireless in residence building - Tricky problem

Mitch Collinsworth mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu
Fri Nov 7 04:21:54 GMT 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, John P Callahan wrote:

> Speaking of tricky problems with wireless in residence buildings... is
> anyone else fighting the problem where Windows XP Home for laptop users
> decides to bridge between their WiFi and wired connections?

We had a problem once with an XP laptop that was bridging it's 100Base-T
and firewire ports.  There was nothing even plugged into the firewire
port, but it somehow managed to take down a whole subnet.  When we
turned on spanning-tree the rest of the subnet came back and the port
feeding that laptop blocked instead.  Turning off bridging in XP cured
the problem but we still don't know why.  Based on the symptoms I'm
guessing it was somehow echoing back everything it was hearing, but I
don't have a tcpdump to show that.

-Mitch