[unisog] Network security textbooks

kamal hilmi othman kamalho at pd.jaring.my
Thu Nov 13 04:35:16 GMT 2003

marchany at vt.edu wrote:
> The textbooks Valids and I looked at were:
>
> "Computer Security: Art & Science", Matt Bishop, ISBN: 0-201-44099-7
> (Addison-Wesley). Good book, nice blend of theory and practice, 35 chapters,
> 992 pages. Could be used for a 2 semester track.
>
> "Cryptography & Network Security: Principles & Practices", William Stallings,
> ISBN: 0-13-091429-0, Prentice Hall. Slanted toward Crypto. Symmetric Ciphers,
> PK Encryption/Hash Functions, Network Security Practice (Kerberos, S/MIME, IP
> Sec), System Security
>
> "Security Engineering: A Guice to Building Dependable Distributed Systems",
> Ross Anderson, ISBN: 0-471-38922-6, Wiley & Sons. An interesting approach,
> gives some guidelines to consider when designing distributed systems. Might be
> a good UG text.
>
> "Building Secure Software: How to Avoid Security Problems the Right Way", John
> Viega, Gary McGraw, ISBN: 0-201-72152-X, Addison-Wesley. Topics include
> Managing Software Security Risk, Selecting Technologies, Guiding Principles
> for Software Security, Auditing software, Buffer Overflows, Access Control,
> Race Conditions, Randomness and Determinism, Crypto. Seems like a good text
> for senior level or grad level design course.
>
> All of the above are available at amazon.com and you can look at the table of
> contents of each book there.

yes, i do agree that 'practical' stuff moves rapidly fast.

but on theory wise i stick to fundamental / RFC. stuff like TCP/IP from
Stevens's book as an example.

teaching 'network security stuff' is a most challenging as on first day
few student already start asking abt 'buffer overflows' :) these ppl
used to learn from website and not to forget as most of them had a hands
on nmap prior to network security class :)

adding to the list i would suggest this book:
Building Open Source Network Security Tools: Components and Techniques
by Mike Schiffman (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471205443/qid=1068697968/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-2443453-7494359?v=glance&s=books