[unisog] Network security textbooks

Michael Sconzo msconzo at net.tamu.edu
Thu Nov 13 20:16:41 GMT 2003

I like Bishop's writing, I took a course at a conference by him a few
years ago, and liked it a lot.

The "Hack Proofing Your Network" books are pretty good.  And any
administration book by Evi Nemeth.

But my 2 personal favorites are:

(The one that I used in a security class that I took)
Linux System Security: The Administrator's Guide to Open Source Security Tools
by Scott Mann and Ellen Mitchell.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130158070/qid=1068751565/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-5541099-8836661?v=glance&s=books

And one that I am reading now, and find it pretty interesting
Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
by Jon Erickson
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1593270070/qid=1068751671/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-5541099-8836661?v=glance&s=books

If you looking for a pure crypto book, I would HIGHLY recommend "The
Handbook of Applied Cryptography" it's a must have on any crypto-geeks
bookshelf.

-=Mike

--

_
_ Michael J. Sconzo

The New Testament offers the basis for modern computer coding theory,
in the form of an affirmation of the binary number system.
        But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay: for
        whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
                -- Matthew 5:37