[unisog] New worm?

Kevin T. Shivers kts at umd.edu
Sat Nov 29 15:51:13 GMT 2003

As someone else said, it looks like some warez crew has found your domain
and thought it would be ripe for setting up Pubstros on.  They are
probably using something like XScan (from http://www.xfocus.org) or some
other vulnerability scanner, focusing on NetBIOS vulnerabilities to break
into the machines and then set up their Pubstros.

Since you said you found Welchia on the machine when you ran Norton either
the machine was previously infected or the warez crew is using a modified
version of the dcom.c or Welchia code to break in.

Filtering port 135 and port 445 at your border should help prevent this.

kts

--
Kevin T. Shivers

IT Security Analyst                                CSS4417
Office of Information Technology            (301) 405-8836
University of Maryland, College Park
OIT Security: (301) 226 HACK