[unisog] Icarus at U. Florida

Bob Johnson bob88 at eng.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 3 22:15:05 GMT 2003

Anderson Johnston wrote:
> Anyone on the know about this?

Well, pretty much all of us at UF knew about it. ;)

>Is everyone in the dorms required to
> be in a specific domain?
>
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/03/1643202&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=146&tid=158&tid=95&tid=99

The UF dorms have their own IP address ranges and for the most part
their own physical network.  Those subnets are operated by the Division
of Housing, and operate under different rules than the rest of campus.
Although some of the residents think they are a bit dictatorial, it
looks to me (based on personal experience, not the published stories)
like they have previously tried to restrict the network as little as
possible, but it was getting a bit out of control.

I find it a bit amusing that some of the stories about this quote
students saying "I didn't even know I had file sharing on my computer"
as if to imply that was a valid excuse for continuing to do it.  They
should be thanking the system for letting them know they were exposing
themselves to one of the multi-thousand dollar lawsuits the RIAA has
been throwing around.  If it's important to them, they will move off
campus and get DSL or something.  There is always a waiting list for
on-campus housing, so I don't think Housing is worried about that.

- Bob