[unisog] Super-hidden spamming exploits?

Thomas DuVally tduvally at brown.edu
Mon Oct 6 17:44:55 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 11:39, Mike Iglesias wrote:
> > Has anyone seen something similar where they are using your internal
> > mail-relays? We are seeing spammers trying to leverage our mail-servers.
> > This of course has the effect of a DoS as we manually clear the effected
> > queues just to get things going again.
>
> Yes, we've had that happen a few times in the last week.  The last time
> it filled up one of our relays with about 160,000 spam messages.

Exactly! Is this new or are the spammers just getting around to us? We
first saw this early last week. If this is a new trend, how are other
people handling this. We are implementing a few ideas, but we can't
think of anything approaching a REAL solution, other than shutting off
SMTP, which isn't really an option, is it?

--
Thomas DuVally
Lead Sys. Prog.

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x15F233F6