[unisog] Super-hidden spamming exploits?

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Mon Oct 6 18:06:29 GMT 2003

> Exactly! Is this new or are the spammers just getting around to us? We
> first saw this early last week. If this is a new trend, how are other
> people handling this. We are implementing a few ideas, but we can't
> think of anything approaching a REAL solution, other than shutting off
> SMTP, which isn't really an option, is it?

We've had plenty of systems turned into spam relays with their own
smtp engine, but I think the use of the smtp server configured on
the system is something we have not seen before this school year.

It's probably an attempt to get around port blocks that prevent the
systems from making outgoing smtp requests.

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069