[unisog] odd traffic on udp 53 (variation on thread)

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Sat Oct 18 03:24:11 GMT 2003

I don't think I've got the same thing going on udp port 53, but I am
seeing some awfully weird stuff with DNS.

We are seeing huge spikes of DNS queries from our official campus DNS
servers querying other DNS servers upstream.   From several hundred DNS
queries every 10 to 30 minutes or so to around 10,000 or more during the
same time period.  The sheer quantity bothers me.  These DNS storms last
about an hour before they die off.

But the most annoying part is that they are DoS'ing my PIX firewall.  The
huge surge of UDP "connections" burns up all of the resources on the PIX
-- pegging the CPU (running PIX version 6.3).

Is anybody seeing anything like this?

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)