[unisog] odd traffic on udp 53 (variation on thread)

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Tue Oct 21 20:57:35 GMT 2003

Thanks for all of the feedback on the odd DNS traffic.  We have not had a
repeat incident since last Wednesday, 10/15/03.

But it looks like something odd is happening with DNS all over the place:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-10-20

Don't know if my problem is related, but I am trying to arm myself to
watch for the DNS storm again.  So if anyone stumbles on any more details,
please post.

PIX USERS:

Cisco may have a fix for the Denial of Service that this DNS storm
triggers on the PIX 6.3 code, but I have not tried it yet to confirm:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=firewall-wizards&m=106535766400935&w=2

Thanks.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary