[unisog] no-ip.com etc.

Mitch Collinsworth mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu
Mon Oct 27 16:32:39 GMT 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Ben Curran wrote:

> Valdis,
>
> Ask yourself this question.
>
> What part of a university's academic mission are we hindering by not allowing ad-hoc
> student established servers?

One issue I've heard raised before is that some people view their
resnet not as an academic network but a residential network.  Once
that distinction is made the priorities begin shifting away from
"it's our property" and more toward "our customers [students] have
a right to engage in recreational activities in their home [dorm]
as long as said activities are a) legal and b) not in violation of
campus code of conduct."

Personally I have mixed feelings about this, but that doesn't change
the fact that there are in fact people in high-ranking offices who
espouse such views, and they do make a good point.

-Mitch