[unisog] New email virus

E. Larry Lidz ellidz at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 31 22:12:35 GMT 2003

David Bruce writes:

>Since this morning, we are seeing a new e-mail virus that does not
>appear to be detectible by current Norton or McAfee virus definitions.
>So far, the attachment received has always been named "photos.zip" with
>subject "our private photos".  We are now filtering email on this
>basis.  Has anyone else seen this?

Yep, Mimail.C.

<http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mimail.c@mm.html>

Anyone else have a james@<domain>? I think we're going to offer the
poor, unsuspecting student a chance of e-mail address if they like.

-Larry

---
E. Larry Lidz                                        Phone: +1 773 702-2208
Sr. Network Security Officer                         Fax:   +1 773 834-8444
Network Security Center, The University of Chicago
PGP: http://security.uchicago.edu/centerinfo/pgpkeys.shtml