[unisog] arp broadcast traffic flooding

Jordan Wiens jwiens at nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
Thu Sep 4 03:33:22 GMT 2003

Most likely the result of many infected nachi hosts.  It does lots and
lots of ping sweeps continuously.  Shutting it off temporarily won't stop
it as it will keep going.  We've had some fun and interesting arp storms
and icmp flooding on various parts of campus as a result.

You might have to look around to find the source of the ICMP packets that
are causing the router to make the arp requests, but I can almost promise
that you'll find them, and they'll be 92 bytes long.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Incident Response Team