[unisog] UConn's Residential Network Beat the Worms

Arnold, Jamie harnold at binghamton.edu
Thu Sep 4 13:40:10 GMT 2003

With 6000 + incoming "living on campus" students, we chose to use ACLs
at the building master switch level to confine the bug traffic in the
resnet and a few ACLs on one of our core routers.  Our Rescons went out
equipped with all the tools necessary to patch, scan and update any
system in question.  Some of our helpdesk staff also went out to patch
machines, while the rest were at the helpdesk answering questions and
handing out CDs with the tools needed.

Bottom line is we did not have to shut the resnet off, the
administrative network stayed up with very few problems and we learned a
lot.

An interesting 3 days to be sure.

Jamie