[unisog] NetReg Circumvention?

Mitch Collinsworth mitch at ccmr.cornell.edu
Thu Sep 4 18:52:39 GMT 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Pete Hickey wrote:

> Our fix was to use a scheme similar to Waterloo's.  Lock the port
> down to a single MAC, and freeze the arp tables in the router.

Not to pick on Pete, I've seen notes from folks at other schools
where this is done, too, but...  While I understand the problems
that can lead to such decisions, I also have to believe this really
sucks for the students.

Imagine living in such a dorm.  Suppose you and several friends all
have laptops and wish to congregate in a single room either to form
a study group, to work on a group course assignment, to play some
computer games, or whatever.  "Sorry, your computer is not allowed
in your neighbor's room.  Go compute in your own room where we can
trust you."  What are you supposed to do?  Go buy a really long drop
cable?  If a user's computer is duely registered for network use,
why, in this day of portable computing, restrict where it can
physically connect?

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.

-Mitch