[unisog] NetReg Circumvention?

Doug Payne dwpayne at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 5 19:37:01 GMT 2003

Pete Hickey wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 02:52:39PM -0400, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Pete Hickey wrote:
>>

>>>Our fix was to use a scheme similar to Waterloo's.  Lock the port
>>>down to a single MAC, and freeze the arp tables in the router.
>

>>..  While I understand the problems
>>that can lead to such decisions, I also have to believe this really
>>sucks for the students.
>
> You're right.  However, it was a decision based on the resources
> we have vs the problems we had.  Having quotas gave them real
> incentives to try to break the system...  When we saw a program
> being distributed, called "Crack_Resonet", we knew we were not

Second that emotion. Because of the 5-10% of residents who ruin it for
the rest, we have little choice. Until we have the time and resources to
come up with or find a suitable alternative, we'll stick with what we
have. It works for us.

One alternative solution that enterprising students come up with is to
use an inexpensive NAT box, wired or wireless, to permit them some
mobility. Those things are in the sub-$50 range now. We don't object to
that because we always have a room number and drop to which we can
reliably connect the person responsible for whatever crud ensues (and it
does, and we do). We register the NAT box itself and hold the owner
responsible for any connections coming from it, whether or not the owner
initiated them.

And we tell 'em that there's always the commercial DSL or other
alternative if they don't like the *free* service that we provide. Some
of them take that route.

Doug Payne (who created the above-mentioned scheme used at Waterloo)