[unisog] Freedom of Information Act

Anderson Johnston andy at umbc.edu
Mon Sep 8 21:38:22 GMT 2003

I heard about a case like this where system logs were requested through
the FOIA.  As I understand it, any records at any state university are
subject to FOIA.  There may be a tie to federal funding, here - I'm not
sure.

					- andy

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Chris Stoermer wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> An email came through the other day that had one of my alternate
> addresses as the delivery address.  After doing a little snooping, I
> found that our email addresses are part of "directory information"
> covered in the FIA.
>
> In light of all the security concerns we have with viruses, would any of
> us agree that the definition of "directory information" needs to change?
>
> I have already written my reps.  I even sent a message to "Homeland
> Security".
>
> --Chris

** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)          *            pager: 410-678-8949  **
** Manager of IT Security                 * PGP key:(afj2002) 4096/8448B056 **
** Office of Information Technology, UMBC *   4A B4 96 64 D9 B6 EF E3 21 9A **
** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)      *   46 1A 37 11 F5 6C 84 48 B0 56 **