[unisog] Freedom of Information Act

Jim Dillon Jim.Dillon at cusys.edu
Mon Sep 8 22:47:03 GMT 2003

I agree in part - change is needed, but it's in understanding the whole scope of privacy, particularly the forces driving all this current regulation/legislation.  We have a state law that requires minimal collection and distribution of data, and it includes name and address in the sensitive class.  This law applies as well as FERPA.  The out given by FERPA is closed by state law in CO. It makes any discussion of "directory information" reasonably useless, as compliance is required by both - directory information is an allowance, not a requirement of FERPA (you can define it, you aren't required to have some, at least that is my read...)

I believe you have to look at privacy conservatively.  OPT in, not out, by default.  Treat anything identifiable as secret, minimize collection and distribution to the point it hurts, at least just a little.  You are then probably coming close to meeting the requirements of a lot of the privacy rules.
My opinions only...

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Dillon, CISA