[unisog] Freedom of Information Act

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 9 02:29:26 GMT 2003

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:14:08 CDT, Chris Stoermer <stoermer at unt.edu>  said:

> An email came through the other day that had one of my alternate addresses as
> the delivery address.  After doing a little snooping, I found that our email
> addresses are part of "directory information" covered in the FIA.

Double check if that's a federal or state version.  Many states have their own,
with different exclusions and rules of engagement.

> In light of all the security concerns we have with viruses, would any of us
> agree that the definition of "directory information" needs to change?

Unfortunately, redefining it as "not directory information" will probably NOT
shelter it from a FOIA request - given some of the stuff that the Federation
of American Scientists has crowbarred out of the CIA and NSA....

> I have already written my reps.  I even sent a message to "Homeland Security"

And whatever else you do, drop a note to your University Legal Counsel.  You
want to make sure that you don't hand out data to a botched/improper request
and expose yourself to liability.  Also, in the "you didn't hear it from me"
category, your legal team may be able to find ways to stonewall a request if
deemed needed. I'm certainly not going to advocate not fulfulling a proper
request - but if there's a request you don't want to fill, and you can squash
it on technical grounds like a typo.... well... :)