[unisog] Freedom of Information Act

Brezin, Wendy wbrezin at unf.edu
Tue Sep 9 15:42:10 GMT 2003

At UNF, our directory is divided into that which is publicly viewable,
name and phone number, and that which is only viewable when the request
comes from within a range of IP address, which also includes e-mail
address.

On each directory page, a link to
http://www.unf.edu/phonedir/web-dir-agreement.html is place.  This link
is essentially a notice provided by our legal counsel that warns UNF
will seek damages from anyone who uses the directory for commercial or
solicitation purposes.  That should distress a few potential spammers.
The source code rendered for each page formats an e-mail address that
looks like:  jsmith<STUPID>@<SPAM>unf<MUST>.<STOP>edu.  It looks
perfectly normal to the viewer of the page (jsmith at unf.edu), but again,
slows down the spammers.  It is unfortunate that the information is
still so easily accessed due to various laws and acts, but since it must
be, we use whatever tools we can to cut down on the consequences.

Wendy Brezin
Network/Systems Administrator
Information Technology Services
University of North Florida