New "False Positives" for Nachi tcpdump

Joshua Thomas thomasj4 at ohio.edu
Fri Sep 12 20:01:13 GMT 2003

We're using a tcpdump filter to look for ICMP traffic destined for external
sources matching the Nachi worm's signature, harvesting source IPs from
packets that match, and disabling the switch ports for the suspect host.

Until recently, we've had no reports of false positives with this
procedure.  However, beginning this afternoon, we're receiving reports from
our desktop support staff that some of the machines we've disabled today
have non-vulnerable OS's (Win9x), and that other machines we've disabled
show no signs of infection when scanned with Stinger or another up-to-date
anti-virus application.

The ICMP traffic goes away when we disable the port.  In most cases the
"non-vulnerable" or "scanned-clean" machine is the only device attached to
that port.  It makes me think we're actually disabling the source of the
traffic, but why would it be coming from those machines?

Is there a new virus that pings like Nachi, but isn't caught by current
anti-virus definitions?

Thanks,
Joshua Thomas
Security Analyst