need help with low level C socket stuff -- modifying UCONN NetReg Scanner

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 17 05:46:12 GMT 2003

Hi All,
	I've spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of days hacking the
uconn scanner. Actually it does not look much like the original any
more...

One of the things I have done is port it to solaris, this involved
discarding the nice linux setsocketopts based timeouts and setting up
the sockets as non-blocking and then monitoring the progress with select
with explicitly set timeouts. Painful and ugly, but it works on both
linux and solaris and probably other flavours of UNIX.

One thing that has be sorely puzzled is that on both linux and solaris I
get a few send() calls that return with an error: 111 i.e. Connection
refused.

Surely the connect() should fail if the connection is refused ???

Any ideas?

I'll post the source when I have figured this one out.

Ah! one last thing.  I have made it scan in parallel with a user
specified number of processes.  I can scan our /16 in about 15 minutes
with 100 processes.

--
Russell Fulton, Network Security Officer, The University of Auckland,
New Zealand.