[unisog] server-to-admin stat?

Christopher E. Cramer chris.cramer at duke.edu
Wed Sep 17 21:36:40 GMT 2003

Hi,

The general figures that I've heard tossed around as a *reasonable*
number are 30-50 windows machines per admin and 100-150 unix machines.
of course most departments around here probably have higher ratios.

The SAGE/SANS/BigAdmin Annual Salary Survey for 2002 has a nice graph on
page 20 which show the ratio of desktops to desktop admins across all
industries.  they got a very nice normal response out of their data
where center of the response was at the 100-249 range (~30% of
respondents).  of course, there's the caveat that different people have
different definitions of what support means, so take the results with a
grain of salt.

-c

--
Christopher E. Cramer, Ph.D.
University Information Technology Security Officer