New scanner based on UCONN NetReg scanner

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Sep 19 02:09:55 GMT 2003

Hi All,
	I have spent quite a lot of time over the last week reworking the
Netreg scanner, in the process I have found that I have not forgotten as
much C and low level socket stuff as I had assumed ;)  It is 10 years
since I did this sort of stuff!

The main thrust of this work was to get something that would work on
Solaris, something that would run much faster than other other scanners
available and would work on arbitrary CIDR blocks.

Here is a chunk from the initial comments

*    September '03
*    modified to take a CIDR block --  Russell Fulton, Univeristy of Auckland
*                                      <r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz>
*       fixed bugs that caused it to run out of sockets
*       rewrote argument handling to be more comprehensible and allow CIDR
*       can now give a list of addresses...
*       added improvements from Jordan Wiens <j w i e n s @ nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu
*       ported to solaris ( non blocking sockets and selects -- yuk! )
*        an supply domain name or IP
*       changed all address computation to host based arithmetic and
*        convert to network order

Feedback and patches welcome.

enjoy!

--
Russell Fulton, Network Security Officer, The University of Auckland,
New Zealand.