[unisog] AV for MACS

Stan Horwitz stan at temple.edu
Fri Dec 3 23:25:03 GMT 2004

Anti-virus software for Macs? What are you trying to protect Mac users
from? I am a long-time Mac user and very active in two local Mac User
Groups and as far as I know, the only reason anyone has for running Mac AV
software is to avoid mistakenly forwarding a virused email to a Windows
user.

Symantec makes anti-virus software for the Mac. So does Macafee. I think
both products are a complete waste of time for Mac users. I have been
using Macs since 1986 and I have had at least one Mac sitting on an
unrestricted broadband line for many years without incident. I know at
least two hundred Mac users and none of them has had a virus with OS X and
only one has had a virus with pre-OS X, and that was way back in OS 7.