[unisog] AV for MACS

Hasan Khalil hasan.khalil at uconn.edu
Sun Dec 5 00:08:35 GMT 2004

On Dec 4, 2004, at 18:28, Stan Horwitz wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, David Foster wrote:
>>
>> Well I would submit that in todays networking environment folks
>> like you are part of the problem. I work on Solaris, Linux and
>> IRIX systems, and my attitude used to be somewhat aligned with
>> yours. Until I was forced to install Sophos Antivirus software
>> on all systems to comply with our new campus minimum standards
>> for network security, and saw how many virus-laden files I had
>> on my systems.
>>
>> What you claim is the "only reason" for running Mac AV software
>> is definitely reason enough, IMHO. Even if we assume that your
>> Mac is safe from virii, for the time being, do you really think
>> that is the only issue here?
>
> As I said, running AV software to prevent Mac users from
> inadvertantly spreading a virus (or worm) to Windows users
> is a reasonable thing to do, but the point that was made
> about malicious macros makes more sense. And yes, I am
> certain my Mac is free of all virii, including macros.

How often do you ever really see a Mac take down your network? How
often do you even see a Mac do Bad Things(tm) (virus related or not)?
I'm really curious to see what other campus' experiences are, because,
apart from false positives on campus-wide scans, to my knowledge, we've
had little to none in that department.

Note: s/Mac/Mac\ OS\ X