[unisog] AV for MACS

David Foster foster at ncmir.ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 6 18:30:42 GMT 2004

> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:28:23 PST, David Foster said:
> > Well I would submit that in todays networking environment folks
> > like you are part of the problem. I work on Solaris, Linux and
> > IRIX systems, and my attitude used to be somewhat aligned with
> > yours. Until I was forced to install Sophos Antivirus software
> > on all systems to comply with our new campus minimum standards
> > for network security, and saw how many virus-laden files I had
> > on my systems.
>
> OK.. I'll bite - which systems did you find the virus-laden files *on*,
> and which viruses were identified as present?
>
> Did it actually find Solaris/Linux/Irix/macro viruses, or did it find
> Windows viruses on a Unixoid system being used as a file/mail/whatever server?
>
> (Note that the answer is interesting as a data point either way..)

Point taken, which was exactly my point in the first place, just because
a Solaris system is probably not going to have virrii with Solaris-specific
payloads doesn't mean that it is pointless to run antivirus software on it.

For the record, I have never seen a "Solaris/Linux/Irix/macro virus",
and on my systems all the virii found were of the Windows variety, and
all on file servers which share files with many different systems,
including Windows systems.

Dave Foster

   David Foster    National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research
    Programmer/Analyst       University of California, San Diego
    dfoster[at]ucsd[dot]edu  Department of Neuroscience, Mail 0608
    (858) 534-7968           http://ncmir.ucsd.edu/

   persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore, all progress
   depends on the unreasonable."   -- George Bernard Shaw