[unisog] Abnormal change in external scanning volume

Harris, Michael C. HarrisMC at health.missouri.edu
Fri Dec 17 14:25:26 GMT 2004

I realize it is finals week for many of us in the .edu community and the
students are all going home for the holidays, but I am noticing a drop
in external scanning, worms and garbage on our IDS systems.  We usually
see a drop at the semester change over points and at holidays but
usually not this large a change.  Even scanning & harvesting from .JP
.TW .HK and .BR has dropped significantly.

Is anyone else seeing the seasonal drop being larger the past seasonal
trends?.

So are all the hacker kids focusing on coding to exploit the recent
Microsoft and Linux kernel vulnerability releases?

Mike Harris
System Security Analyst
University of Missouri Health Center