[unisog] DMCA Reports and No-Reply Addresses

Eric Pancer epancer at security.depaul.edu
Wed Dec 29 23:55:29 GMT 2004

It's almost 2005, and more games have started with the DMCA
"enforcers." We received a notice today from BayTSP with the
following "From" and "Reply-To" set:

<universal-studios-no-reply at champ.baytsp.com>

Replying to this address offers the following error.

<universal-studios-no-reply at champ.baytsp.com>:
Sorry, I couldn't find any host named champ.baytsp.com. (#5.1.2)

Embedded in the email is the following blob:

"
  All correspondence regarding this notice should be sent to:

  <http://webreply.baytsp.com/webreply/webreply.jsp?customerid=XX&commhash=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>

"

Note that anyone can go to this page, no authentication is required.
Then, you'll get to waste your time filling in the pretty boxes
(note that you've already wasted your time by having to open up a
browser since you don't use a graphical email client (you don't,
right?)). The three options you can select are:

"
  1. I've complied and removed all copyrighted material for which
     I'm not the copyright holder

  2. No, I've not complied and I'm still distributing copyrighted
     material.

  3. Mistake, You sent the notice to the wrong person (fill in more
     detail below).

"

You'll then have to check a box that states...

" By checking this box I swear that I have provided truthful
information."

So, for all of you that have automated processing of incoming DMCA
reports, Happy New Year, and get to work on some automated things to
select option #3 above using curl!

- --
Eric Pancer :.: Computer Security Response Team :.: DePaul University
http://security.depaul.edu/ .:`:.:':.:`:. epancer at security.depaul.edu
pgp: 1024D/7ACBCFF3 C022 4991 41E5 51E7 683C F765 62F7 7F8E 7ACB CFF3