[unisog] DMCA Reports and No-Reply Addresses

PaulFM paulfm at me.umn.edu
Thu Dec 30 18:37:53 GMT 2004

correction (actually a typo on my part):

If your mail server is set up correctly, it should only accept mail From
users at valid dns names (check the full headers of the message
and your mail-server logs to look for the envelope from address).

In other words the mail-server should be doing a dns lookup of the from
address machine name and not accepting mail supposedly originating from bogus
machines.  Always keep in mind that the From: header and the Envelope from
are separate things (although usually the same) and it is the Envelope from
the mail server is checking.

PaulFM wrote:

 > If your mail server is set up correctly, it should only accept mail From
 > valid users at valid dns names (check the full headers of the message
 > and your mail-server logs to look for the envelope from address).

<snip>