[unisog] DMCA Reports and No-Reply Addresses

Allison MacFarlan allison.macfarlan at yale.edu
Thu Dec 30 21:56:32 GMT 2004

It's ironic, or maybe not, that BayTSP has done this, because we've
found that it's the least accurate or responsive company of any of
the copyright-enforcement folks. Even if you've got a name and
telephone number, you'll never get a response to a query about
one of their complaints.

However, I would caution anyone to reply to this questionnaire, because
if you (the Security Operations Group) respond to this, you are assuming
the legal burden of compliance, by saying that *you've* complied and
removed the material. You can only say that "the material has been
removed," based on information or indications you have of the
student's compliance.

This seems like an insidious way of forcing universities to assume a
legal
responsibility where they would normally have a safe harbor protection
as a provider, not to mention the extra work created for those who've
managed to automate these complaints.

BTW, these are the mail addresses we have for BayTSP:

paramount-picture at copyright-compliance.com
mgm at copyright-compliance.com