Dropping executables - who does it?

Thomas DuVally tduvally at brown.edu
Mon Feb 2 18:01:13 GMT 2004

With the fun we are all having with viruses, we are wondering how many
institutions are just dropping executable attachments all together.
It's something that I know a lot of virus/mail gateway software can do,
but are a lot of schools doing that?

We have a policy to try and deliver as much as possible, but I think we
are coming up against the practicality of having to protect users.
Anti-virus companies can create defs pretty fast, but mydoom still
infected thousands of machines worldwide before they were available.
Dropping executables (exe, com, pif, scr, bat) would have been better
insulated us, if not protected (zip).

Anyone doing that?

--
Thomas J. DuVally
Lead Systems Prog.

GPG fingerprint = FB59 8265 0865 0CB8 94B5 FC26 F573 F09C 15F2 33F6