[unisog] IDS vs. Privacy

Pete Hickey pete at shadows.uottawa.ca
Tue Feb 3 00:41:28 GMT 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 02:33:10PM -0600, E. Larry Lidz wrote:

>  The new management believes that people having access raw
> packets is an unacceptable risk. ...

> Are other institutions similarly concerned about the privacy
> issues involved? Why or why not?

To me, it is an issue of trust in the staff.  The netowrk
guys can span any port and sniff traffic all they want.
People who manage email systems can easily get email
(if not encrypted) if they want... etc.

One has to have confidence that the staff are professionals
and will not do things they should not.

--
Pete Hickey                          When encryption
The University of Ottawa             is outlawed,