[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Chris Edwards chris at eng.gla.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 12:41:05 GMT 2004

| We have a policy to try and deliver as much as possible, but I think we
| are coming up against the practicality of having to protect users.
| Anti-virus companies can create defs pretty fast, but mydoom still
| infected thousands of machines worldwide before they were available.
| Dropping executables (exe, com, pif, scr, bat) would have been better
| insulated us, if not protected (zip).

We have not allowed executables to be sent raw in the mail since early 2001.

These days, such emails are rejected during the SMTP dialog with a 5xx
response to the DATA command - safer than blackholing, and much better
than composing and delivering a "bounce" to the puported sender.

Traditionally, we've advised users to zip things before sending.  However,
this advice is starting to look a little outdated now...

Chris

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service