[unisog] IDS vs. Privacy

Eric Pancer epancer at security.depaul.edu
Tue Feb 3 17:19:07 GMT 2004

Pete Hickey wrote on Mon, 2004-02-02 at 19:41:28 -0500...

> One has to have confidence that the staff are professionals
> and will not do things they should not.

...and policy should install this fact in the user community. A
policy is a standard method by which to regulate behavior, both of
users in the community *and* of system administrators. My research
on this whole topic showed that people were more likely to
understand the reasons/needs behind monitoring network traffic
better when presented with a comprehensive policy on how such
monitoring will occur, and the disciplinary actions taken against
those who go outside it's parameters.

--
Eric Pancer     Computer Security Response Team     DePaul University
http://security.depaul.edu/               epancer at security.depaul.edu
pgp: 1024D/7ACBCFF3 C022 4991 41E5 51E7 683C F765 62F7 7F8E 7ACB CFF3